|Born||September 25, 1951|
Newport, Rhode Island, U.S.
|Education||Bard College (BA)|
New York University (MFA)
Anne Bogart (born September 25, 1951) is an American theatre and opera director. She is currently one of the Artistic Directors of SITI Company, which she founded with Japanese director Tadashi Suzuki in 1992. She is a Professor at Columbia University where she runs the Graduate Directing Concentration and is the author of three books of essays on theater making: A Director Prepares; And Then, You Act; and What's the Story. She is a co-author, with Tina Landau of The Viewpoints Book, a "practical guide" to Viewpoints training and devising techniques. Conversations with Anne, a collection of interviews she has conducted with various notable artists was published in March 2012.
Bogart's influence is felt throughout the contemporary theatre: through the widespread adoption of SITI's training methods of Viewpoints and Suzuki, her oeuvre of groundbreaking productions, and her guidance at SITI and including at Columbia University of such diverse talents as Pavol Liska, Diane Paulus, James Dacre, Kim Weild, Jay Scheib, Sophie Hunter, Shura Baryshnikov, Darko Tresnjak, Robert O'Hara, Rachel Chavkin and many others.
Awards and recognition
In 2018 London University awarded Bogart a Leverhulme Professorship.
- LGBT culture in New York City
- List of self-identified LGBTQ New Yorkers
- Opera director
- Theatrical director
- "Kim Weild Biography". Kim Weild.
- "Diane Paulus Biography". Diane Paulus.
- "Sophie Hunter Biography". Sophie Hunter.
- "Jay Scheib Biography" (PDF). Jay Scheib.
- "Anson Mount '98 Performs in 'Mankind', Written By Robert O'Hara '96". Columbia University School of the Arts. December 4, 2017. Retrieved June 22, 2018.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2018-07-18. Retrieved 2018-07-18.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Bogart, Anne. 2001. A Director Prepares: Seven Essays on Art and Theatre. London: Routledge. ISBN 0-415-23832-3.
- Bogart, Anne. 2007. And Then, You Act: Making Art in an Unpredictable World. London: Routledge. ISBN 0-415-41142-4.
- Bogart, Anne and Tina Landau. 2005. The Viewpoints Book: A Practical Guide to Viewpoints and Composition. New York: Theatre Communications Group.ISBN 1-55936-241-3.
- Dixon, Michael Bigelow and Joel A. Smith, eds. 1995. Anne Bogart: Viewpoints. Career Development Ser. Lyme, NH: Smith and Kraus. ISBN 1-880399-94-6.
- Lampe, Eelka. 2001. "SITI – A Site of Stillness and Surprise: Ann [sic] Bogart's Viewpoints Training Meets Tadashi Suzuki's Method of Actor Training." in Performer Training: Developments Across Cultures. Ed. Ian Watson. Contemporary Theatre Studies Ser. London: Harwood Academic Publishers. ISBN 90-5755-151-9. p. 171–189.