|Born||29 September 1946 (age 74)|
Library of Congress
Tillett has worked at the Library of Congress since 1994. As director of the Library's Integrated Library System (ILS) Program from August 1997 through July 2001, Tillett undertook the massive task of leading the selection and implementation of the Library of Congress' first Integrated Library System. A library press release referred to the project as the "largest single information technology project in the Library's history."
Tillett has been particularly well known for her development and explanation of the FRBR model. Tillett served as a consultant to the IFLA Study Group on the Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records, which developed the model. She has also been highly involved in the development of RDA, a cataloging code based on the FRBR model. Tillett served on the Joint Steering Committee for the Development of RDA between 1994 and 2012, and served as the committee's chair between 2011 and 2013.
Tillett has received numerous awards for her scholarship and work with the Library of Congress, including the ALCTS Margaret Mann Citation, the Library of Congress' Distinguished Service Award and Flemming Award, and the Ross Atkinson Lifetime Achievement Award. In both 2005 and 2007, she was awarded the best paper of the year by the journal Cataloging & Classification Quarterly.
- "What is FRBR? A Conceptual Model for the Bibliographic Universe" (2003)
- "Authority control in the online environment : considerations and practices" (Haworth Press, 1989)
- "Bibliographic relationships : toward a conceptual structure of bibliographic information used in cataloging" (1987)
- "The bibliographic universe and the new IFLA cataloging principles" with Carlo Bianchini (Casalini libri, 2008)
- "Tillett, Barbara B." Library of Congress Authorities. Retrieved 18 March 2016.[permanent dead link]
- Polutta, Melanie; Tillett, Barbara (11 March 2014). "Appreciating Barbara Tillett, part 3". Library of Congress Cataloging Newsline. ISSN 2324-6464. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "Barbara Tillett Receives Flemming Award". Information Bulletin. Library of Congress. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- Morris, Susan. "Margaret Mann Citation to Barbara Tillett". Information Bulletin. Library of Congress. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- Litwin, Rory (9 August 2006). "Interview with Barbara Tillett". Library Juice: On the Intersection of Libraries, Politics, and Culture. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "Ross Atkinson Lifetime Achievement Award to Barbara Tillett". ALA News. American Library Association. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records (Report). International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions. 1997. p. iv.
- "JSC Membership". Joint Steering Committee for the Development of RDA. Archived from the original on 1 June 2014. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "Margaret Mann Citation". Awards. American Library Association. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
|This article about a person involved with library and information science is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|