Blekinge Institute of Technology
Blekinge Tekniska Högskola
|Type||Public Research University|
|Campus||Urban, 2 campuses|
|BTH is a member of EUA - European Universities Association|
The Blekinge Institute of Technology (BTH; Swedish: Blekinge Tekniska Högskola) is a public, state funded Swedish institute of technology in Blekinge with 7,200 students (part-time, full-time) and offers about 35 educational programmes in 12 departments at two campuses located in Karlskrona and Karlshamn.
BTH was granted university status in engineering in 1999. Among the many programmes and courses taught in Swedish, BTH offers about 11 Master's programmes in English.
Blekinge Institute of Technology is located in the Telecom City area and works with telecommunications and software companies including Telenor, Ericsson AB and Wireless Independent Provider (WIP).
The University has two Campuses in Blekinge:
- Campus Gräsvik in Karlskrona, from 1989
- Campus Karlshamn, from 2000
The Soft Center Campus in Ronneby existed from 1989 and was integrated in 2010 in the Campus Gräsvik, Karlskrona.
The University had been between 2006-2008 included in a strategic alliance with Växjö University and University of Kalmar under the common name of the Academy of the Southeast. The Board, however, decided February 15, 2008 not to join in the fusion the other two parties, which resulted in the founding of Linnaeus University.
Blekinge Institute of Technology is a member of the European University Association, the European Society of Engineering Education and the Association of Technical Universities in Scandinavia (NORDTEK).
Applied Information Technology
The Institute offers Bachelor, Master and PhD programmes oriented towards applied Informatics. BTH has been ranked 6th in the world in Systems and Software Engineering research. Admission to graduate programs is among the most competitive in Sweden due to having the highest number of international applicants. The faculty of the School of Computing consists of 11 full professors and 50 PhD students, among those are high-profile researchers such as
- Claes Wohlin,
- Nail H. Ibragimov, widely regarded as one of the world's foremost experts in the field of symmetry analysis of differential equations.
A European Master on Software Engineering program is given in collaboration with Technical University of Madrid (Spain), University of Kaiserslautern (Germany) and Free University of Bozen-Bolzano (Italy).
The Institute uniquely offers two Masters programs and a PhD program in Strategic Sustainable Development (SSD), a scientifically robust and strategic framework to systematically contribute to sustainable development through trust-building, purposeful practices. The Blekinge Institute of Technology contributed significantly to the development of Strategic Sustainable Development. Leading figures of the Scandinavian sustainability movement, such as Karl-Henrik Robèrt, teach and research at the Institute. In cooperation with Lund University the Centre for Innovation, Research and Competence in the Learning Economy (CIRCLE) was established in 2004. Today CIRCLE is the largest national research Centre of Excellence by the Swedish Governmental Agency for Innovation Systems.
The latest (2008) report from the Engineering Education for Sustainable Development Observatory (EESD-Observatory) ranked Blekinge Institute of Technology's programme on Strategic Sustainable Development as the best among Swedish technical universities and third among the 56 evaluated European universities, with a grade of 8.4 out of 10.
Through a planning grant from the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA), BTH and NJU explored the possibilities for cooperation in the field of sustainable development.
- List of higher education institutions Archived 2012-05-24 at Archive.today, Swedish National Agency for Higher Education, accessed 2010-11-22
- "Fakta om BTH". Archived from the original on 2009-02-18. Retrieved 2009-04-20.
- "Telecom City". Archived from the original on 2010-05-27. Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- "School of Computing Research Ranking". Archived from the original on 2011-11-28. Retrieved 2011-12-08.
- "School of Computing". Archived from the original on 2010-07-02. Retrieved 2010-06-15.
- "Awards and visibility". Archived from the original on 2010-07-21. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- "Nail H. Ibragimov Homepage". Archived from the original on 2011-09-30. Retrieved 2011-02-14.
- European Master on Software Engineering Archived July 2, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- "Sustainability Education at BTH". Archived from the original on 2013-12-05. Retrieved 2013-06-14.
- "GENERAL CURRICULUM FOR EDUCATION AT RESEARCH LEVEL IN STRATEGIC SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT - 2013-05-16" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-11-11. Retrieved 2013-06-14.
- Circle Plan of Action Archived 2011-07-17 at the Wayback Machine
- "BTH top ranked regarding Sustainable Development". Archived from the original on 2016-01-25. Retrieved 2013-05-07.