Rees (centre, red robes) in 2013
|Resident Judge of Cardiff Crown Court|
18 June 2012
|Recorder of Cardiff|
18 June 2012
|Born||Eleri Mair Morgan
7 July 1953
|Alma mater||University of Liverpool|
Eleri Mair Rees (née Morgan; born 7 July 1953) is a Welsh judge. Since 18 June 2012, she has been the Resident Judge of Cardiff Crown Court and Recorder of Cardiff. She has been a circuit judge since 2002. She was called to the bar in 1975, and served as a clerk to justices from 1983 to 1994 and as a stipendiary magistrate (later renamed District Judge (Magistrates' Courts)) between 1994 and 2002.
Early life and education
Rees was born on 7 July 1953. She was educated at Ardwyn Grammar School, a grammar school in Aberystwyth, Wales. She studied law at the University of Liverpool, graduating with a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree.
In 1975, Rees was called to the bar at Gray's Inn. As was common for the time, she struggled to find a pupillage. Instead of practising as a barrister, she joined the Magistrates' Courts Service. From 1983 to 1994, she served as a Clerk to Justices at Bexley Magistrates' Court in London.
On 3 May 1994, Rees became a Metropolitan Stipendiary Magistrate: this was a legally qualified, professional magistrate who could sit alone to hear cases. She was appointed a Deputy District Judge (Magistrates' Courts) in 1992. In 1998, she was additionally appointed an Assistant Recorder, a part-time circuit judge. Due to the Access to Justice Act 1999, Stipendiary Magistrate were renamed District Judges (Magistrates' Courts).
On 18 July 2000, Rees was appointed a Recorder of the Midland and Oxford Circuit. On 23 April 2002, she was appointed a Circuit Judge. She has also been the Liaison Judge for the Welsh Language since 2002. On 18 June 2012, she was promoted to Senior Circuit Judge, and appointed Resident Judge of Cardiff Crown Court and Recorder of Cardiff.
In 1975, the then Eleri Morgan married Alan Rees.
- 'REES, Eleri Mair', Who's Who 2017, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2017; online edn, Oxford University Press, 2016; online edn, Nov 2016 accessed 11 Oct 2017
- "Eleri Rees". Judicial Appointments Commission. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- "No. 53657". The London Gazette. 29 April 1994. p. 6417.
- "Legal news: appointments and retirements". The Times. 13 June 2012. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- "Crown Office". The London Gazette (55921). 24 July 2000. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- "Crown Office". The London Gazette (56557). 2 May 2002. p. 5385. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
- "Senior Circuit Judge Appointment – Rees". Ministry of Justice. 11 June 2012. Archived from the original on 6 February 2013. Retrieved 11 October 2017.
|Recorder of Cardiff
2012 to present