Eoin Ó Murchú
Eoin Ó Murchú
|Occupation||Writer and retired journalist|
|Language||Irish and English|
|Education||Trinity College Dublin|
|Literary movement||Gaelic revival|
|Notable works||Culture and Revolution in Ireland|
Eoin Ó Murchú is a writer and retired journalist in both Irish and English, a political activist and he is a former member of Official Sinn Féin, Workers' Party, and the Communist Party of Ireland.
Born and reared in England, where he joined the Connolly Association and got involved in the republican movement, he studied at Trinity College Dublin, Eoin was a founding member of the Republican Club in the college and served as its chairman.
Officials and Communist Party
Ó Murchú edited the newspaper of the official republican movement United Irishman and served on the Ard Comhairle of Official Sinn Féin. His 1971 work Culture and Revolution in Ireland, formed a synthesis of Gaelic revival and Maoist themes. Ó Murchú was aligned with the faction who moved the Official Republican movement away from the armed struggle towards a socialist and electoral path. After joining the Communist party he served as its southern secretary, and also edited the party's newspaper The Irish Socialist.
RTÉ and journalism
He worked as political correspondent for RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta. Although retired from RTE, Eoin is still active as an columnist and commentator appearing on Vincent Browne Tonite programme on TV3 from time to time. Eoin also writes Political and Irish language columnist for An Phoblacht.
- Culture and Revolution in Ireland, Eoin Ó Murchú, Official Sinn Féin/Repsol, 1971
- The Workers' Party, Its Evolution and Its future, A Critique, Eoin Ó Murchú, Communist Party of Ireland, 1982
- The Workers’ Party: Its Evolution and Its future: A Critique” Eoin Ó Murchú of the Communist Party of Ireland Irish Left Archive
- Hanley, Brian; Millar, Scott (2009). The Lost Revolution: The Story of the Official IRA and the Workers' Party. Dublin: Penguin Ireland. ISBN 978-1844881208.
- Century of Endeavour - Sinn Féin minutes January 1971 Dr. Roy Johnston, 1999.
- O Murchu www.markhumphrys.com