Joe Pera Talks with You
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Joe Pera Talks with You|
|Created by||Joe Pera|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||9|
|Running time||11 minutes|
|Original network||Adult Swim|
|Original release||May 20, 2018 –|
Joe Pera Talks with You is an American live-action comedy television series that first premiered on Adult Swim on May 20, 2018. The series was created by Joe Pera and produced by Factual Productions, Inc. It entered development following the success of the 2016 non-canonical specials Joe Pera Talks You to Sleep and Joe Pera Helps You Find the Perfect Christmas Tree, of which the first was animated, airing as part of Infomercials. Adult Swim has renewed the show for a second season.
The series stars comedian Joe Pera as a fictionalized version of himself, living in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and teaching choir at a local middle school. Pera attempts to talk directly to the audience about mundane subject matter such as iron, Sunday breakfast, fall drives and sleeping.
- Joe Pera as a fictionalized version of himself, a self-proclaimed "soft-handed choir teacher" from Marquette. Though he is very introspective, with a vast knowledge of specific concepts, he expresses naivety in his social interactions. He has a pet dog named Gus.
- Conner O'Malley as Mike Melsky, Joe's neighbor. The two meet in the events of the show's first episode, when Mike attempts to buy Joe's house due to a misunderstanding with where the sign is placed. He is generally sarcastic, short-tempered, and incredulous towards Joe.
- Gene Kelly as Gene, Joe's best friend. He likes to help Joe teach his lessons, and often ends up giving Joe advice in the process.
- Jo Firestone as Sarah, a new band teacher working at the same school as Joe. Many of her beliefs are rooted in conspiracies and fears for the future, as evidenced by her construction of a fortified basement below her house. She becomes Joe's love interest over the course of the first season.
- Nancy Cornell as Joe's Nana Josephine.
- Jo Scott as Sue Melsky, Mike's wife.
- Fitzgerald William as Gus, Joe’s dog.
The first Pera project to appear on Adult Swim was the animated short, Joe Pera Talks You to Sleep. It was aired as part of the network's Infomercials series on March 21, 2016. The short was animated and directed by Kieran O'Hare, who had previously animated a Joe Pera comedy bit for his YouTube channel titled Comedianimations - Joe Pera's Running Sneakers. O'Hare applied the same animation style to the Adult Swim special. The special can be seen on Adult Swim's YouTube channel for free, as well as a ten-hour looped version.
On December 9, 2016, a second special, Joe Pera Helps You Find the Perfect Christmas Tree, premiered on Adult Swim. The live-action special was more tonally similar to what would become Joe Pera Talks with You. Like the series, it was directed by Marty Schousboe and written by Pera alongside Dan Licata, and made by the same production team under the name Rent Now Productions. It also takes place in the same location in Michigan where Pera works as a choir teacher. It features characters that would later appear in the series, such as Gene Gibson, the Melsky family and Joe's Nana Josephine, all portrayed by the same actors. Differences include Joe's dog Gus not being a basset hound, Joe living in a different house, and Joe's co-worker and love interest Sarah, portrayed in the series by Jo Firestone, being absent entirely. These differences imply the special and series are not within the same continuity. Pera appeared on local talk shows to promote the special.
Season 1 (2018)
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||US viewers|
|1||1||"Joe Pera Shows You Iron"||Marty Schousboe||Joe Pera||May 20, 2018||0.631|
|Joe attempts to educate viewers on the rocks and minerals of his Michigan home, but is distracted by the thought that he might have to sell his house.|
|2||2||"Joe Pera Takes You to Breakfast"||Marty Schousboe||Conner O'Malley||May 20, 2018||0.573|
|Joe teaches viewers about different ways people eat breakfast while trying to decide on his own breakfast choice.|
|3||3||"Joe Pera Takes You on a Fall Drive"||Marty Schousboe||Conner O'Malley||May 27, 2018||0.631|
|Joe takes viewers on his annual fall drive, where he muses on fall and gives his jack-o-lantern a proper funeral.|
|4||4||"Joe Pera Shows You How to Dance"||Marty Schousboe||Jo Firestone||May 27, 2018||0.549|
|Joe goes to a coworker's wedding, shows viewers how to dance, and gets to know his coworker Sarah better.|
|5||5||"Joe Pera Talks You Back to Sleep"||Marty Schousboe||Amalia Levari||June 3, 2018||0.665|
|Joe muses on topics to help viewers go back to sleep after being awakened by thunder.|
|6||6||"Joe Pera Reads You the Church Announcements"||Marty Schousboe||Dan Licata||June 3, 2018||0.556|
|Joe attempts to read out the church announcements, but is distracted by his recent hearing of "Baba O'Riley" by The Who for the first time.|
|7||7||"Joe Pera Lights Up the Night with You"||Marty Schousboe||Dan Licata||June 10, 2018||0.523|
|Joe babysits his neighbor's daughter for New Year's.|
|8||8||"Joe Pera Talks to You About the Rat Wars of Alberta, Canada (1950–Present Day)"||Marty Schousboe||Jo Firestone||June 10, 2018||0.459|
|Joe and Sarah try to put on a musical about the Rat Wars of Alberta, Canada, but their relationship gets in the way.|
|"Joe Pera Answers Your Questions About Cold Weather Sports"||Marty Schousboe||Story by: Joe Pera and Amalia Levari|
Teleplay by: Joe Pera
|June 17, 2018||0.516|
|Joe and Sarah learn to like each other despite their differences. Notes: Double-length episode|
- Pera, Joe (2019-09-04). "Big news I can finally share - season two of 'Joe Pera Talks With You' will be coming out this holiday season on @adultswim. There are 14 new episodes, each with new topics, and I will let you speculate whether this fire hydrant will be introduced as a new major character.http://twitter.com/adultswim/status/1169324254262939651 …". @JosephPera. Retrieved 2019-09-10. External link in
- Porter, Rick (May 22, 2018). "Sunday cable ratings: 'Fear the Walking Dead' dips opposite NBA Playoffs". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 10, 2018.
- Porter, Rick (May 30, 2018). "Sunday cable ratings: ESPN gets huge numbers for Cavaliers-Celtics Game 7". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved June 10, 2018.
- "Sunday cable ratings: 'Westworld' rebounds a little, 'Pose' and 'Succession' start slowly". TV by the Numbers. June 5, 2018. Retrieved June 10, 2018.
- Metcalf, Mitch (June 5, 2018). "Updated: Showbuzzdaily's top 150 sunday cable originals & network finals: 6.3.2018". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved June 29, 2018.
- Metcalf, Mitch (June 12, 2018). "Updated: Showbuzzdaily's top 150 sunday cable originals & network finals: 6.10.2018". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved June 29, 2018.
- Metcalf, Mitch (June 19, 2018). "Updated: Showbuzzdaily's top 150 sunday cable originals & network finals: 6.17.2018". Showbuzz Daily. Retrieved June 29, 2018.
- executive producer for Factual Productions, Inc.
- executive producer for Williams Street
|This television-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|