Kerava town centre
Location of Kerava in Finland
|• Mayor||Kirsi Rontu|
|• Total||30.79 km2 (11.89 sq mi)|
|• Land||30.62 km2 (11.82 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.17 km2 (0.07 sq mi)|
|Area rank||309th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||30th largest in Finland|
|• Density||1,214.66/km2 (3,146.0/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||94.8% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||16.3%|
|• 15 to 64||63.8%|
|• 65 or older||19.9%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.25%|
Kerava (Finnish pronunciation: [ˈkerɑʋɑ]; Swedish: Kervo) is a town and municipality in Finland. It is located in the province of Southern Finland and is part of the Uusimaa region. Its neighboring municipalities are Vantaa, Sipoo and Tuusula.
The town has a population of 37,193 (31 March 2021) and covers an area of 30.79 square kilometres (11.89 sq mi) of which 0.17 km2 (0.066 sq mi) is water. The population density is 1,214.66 inhabitants per square kilometre (3,146.0/sq mi). Kerava is the 30th largest municipality in terms of population, but the 5th smallest municipality in terms of area in Finland (and the second smallest in the Uusimaa region after Kauniainen).
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
The city of Kerava joined Helsinki Regional Transport Authority (HSL) in 2010.
The Kerava Central Railway Station is an interchange station, with connections from the main track from Helsinki to Riihimäki to the tracks to Lahti and Porvoo. Helsinki Airport (HEL) is located about 15 kilometers to the southwest of the city by car.
Results of the 2019 Finnish parliamentary election in Kerava:
- Social Democratic Party 19,8%
- National Coalition Party 19,3%
- Finns Party 19,0%
- Green League 12,9%
- Left Alliance 8,6%
- Centre Party 6.8%
- Movement Now (common list of Uusimaa) 4,4%
- Christian Democrats 3.2%
- Blue Reform 1,9%
Notable people from Kerava
- President J. K. Paasikivi (1870-1956), lived in Kerava since 1917 to 1940's
- Hanna-Maria Seppälä (b. 1984), Finnish freestyle swimmer
- Volmari Iso-Hollo (1907-1969),Olympic medalist
- Jean Sibelius (1865-1957), Finnish composer
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Preliminary population structure by area, 2021M01*-2021M03*". StatFin (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age (1-year) and sex by area and the regional division of each statistical reference year, 2003-2020". StatFin. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2021" (PDF). Tax Administration of Finland. 1 December 2020. Retrieved 10 April 2021.
Media related to Kerava at Wikimedia Commons