Limerick City (Dáil constituency)
Location of Limerick City within Ireland
Limerick City is a parliamentary constituency in Dáil Éireann, the lower house of the Irish parliament or Oireachtas. The constituency elects 4 deputies (Teachtaí Dála, commonly known as TDs). The method of election is the single transferable vote form of proportional representation (PR-STV).
History and boundaries
It was established by the Electoral (Amendment) Act 2009 when it replaced the former constituency of Limerick East. Most of the rural parts of the Limerick East constituency were transferred to the Limerick constituency, itself now abolished. Limerick City was first represented at the 2011 general election.
The Electoral (Amendment) (Dáil Constituencies) Act 2013 defines the constituency as:
- "The city of Limerick;
- and, in the county of Limerick, the electoral divisions of:
- Abington, Ballybricken, Ballycummin, Ballysimon, Ballyvarra, Caherconlish East, Caherconlish West, Castleconnell, Cappamore, Clonkeen, Doon West, Glenstal, Limerick South Rural, Roxborough, in the former Rural District of Limerick No. 1;
- Bilboa, in the former Rural District of Tipperary No. 2;
- and, in the county of Clare, the electoral division of:
- Ballyglass in the former Rural District of Meelick."
For the next general election, the Electoral (Amendment) (Dáil Constituencies) Act 2017 defines the constituency as:
- "In the city and county of Limerick the electoral divisions of:
- Abbey A, Abbey B, Abbey C, Abbey D, Ballinacurra A, Ballinacurra B, Ballynanty, Castle A, Castle B, Castle C, Castle D, Coolraine, Custom House, Dock A, Dock B, Dock C, Dock D, Farranshone, Galvone A, Galvone B, Glentworth A, Glentworth B, Glentworth C, John’s A, John’s B, John’s C, Kilkeely A, Kilkeely B, Market, Prospect A, Prospect B, Rathbane, Shannon A, Shannon B, Singland A, Singland B, St. Laurence, in the former City of Limerick;
- Abington, Ballybricken, Ballycummin, Ballysimon, Ballyvarra, Caherconlish East, Caherconlish West, Castleconnell, Clonkeen, Glenstal, Limerick North Rural, Limerick South Rural, Roxborough, in the former Rural District of Limerick No. 1;
- and in the county of Tipperary, the electoral divisions of:
- Birdhill, Kilcomenty, Newport in the former Rural District of Nenagh."
|Teachtaí Dála (TDs) for Limerick 2011–|
Note: The columns in this table are used only for presentational purposes, and no significance should be attached to the order of columns. For details of the order in which seats were won at each election, see the detailed results of that election.
2016 general election
|2016 general election: Limerick City|
|Party||Candidate||FPv%||Count 1||Count 2||Count 3||Count 4||Count 5||Count 6|
|Fianna Fáil||Willie O'Dea||27.8||12,999|
|Sinn Féin||Maurice Quinlivan||12.6||5,894||6,527||6,651||7,025||10,517|
|Fine Gael||Michael Noonan||15.6||7,294||7,909||8,221||8,591||9,018||9,311|
|Labour Party||Jan O'Sullivan||11.2||5,227||5,838||6,166||7,001||7,722||8,187|
|Fine Gael||Kieran O'Donnell||12.9||6,047||6,545||6,830||7,177||7,512||7,849|
|Social Democrats||Sarah Jane Hennelly||5.9||2,747||3,039||3,620|
|Green Party||James Gaffney||2.1||964||1,081|
|Catholic Democrats||Nora Bennis||1.4||673||823|
|Electorate: 75,568 Valid: 46,761 Spoilt: 357 (0.8%) Quota: 9,353 Turnout: 62.4%|
2011 general election
|2011 general election: Limerick City|
|Party||Candidate||FPv%||Count 1||Count 2||Count 3||Count 4||Count 5||Count 6||Count 7|
|Fine Gael||Michael Noonan||30.8||13,291|
|Fine Gael||Kieran O'Donnell||12.5||5,405||8,306||8,414||8,545||8,774|
|Fianna Fáil||Willie O'Dea||16.1||6,956||7,369||7,403||7,432||7,768||9,424|
|Labour Party||Jan O'Sullivan||14.7||6,353||7,122||7,161||7,314||7,728||8,079||8,520|
|Sinn Féin||Maurice Quinlivan||8.6||3,711||3,829||3,877||3,894||4,518||4,634||4,758|
|Labour Party||Joe Leddin||5.6||2,411||2,628||2,645||2,712||2,926||3,084||3,291|
|Fianna Fáil||Peter Power||5.3||2,303||2,399||2,429||2,466||2,533|
|Socialist Party||Cian Prendiville||1.7||721||740||769||799|
|Green Party||Sheila Cahill||1.1||490||520||542|
|Christian Solidarity||Conor O'Donoghue||0.4||186||197|
|Electorate: 64,909 Valid: 43,188 Spoilt: 429 (1.0%) Quota: 8,638 Turnout: 43,617 (67.2%)|
- Dáil constituencies
- Elections in the Republic of Ireland
- Politics of the Republic of Ireland
- List of Dáil by-elections
- List of political parties in the Republic of Ireland
- "Constituency Commission: Report on Dáil and European Parliament Constituencies 2007" (PDF). The Stationery Office, Dublin. p. 5. Archived from the original (PDF) on 19 November 2007. Retrieved 28 September 2010.
- "Electoral (Amendment) Act 2009". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 28 September 2010.
- "Electoral (Amendment) (Dáil Constituencies) Act 2013: Schedule". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- "Electoral (Amendment) (Dáil Constituencies) Act 2017: Schedule". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- "General election 2011: Limerick City". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 28 February 2011.
- "General election 2016: Limerick City". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 20 February 2016.
- Prendiville campaigned as a member of the United Left Alliance.