Municipality and town
|Claimed by|| Kingdom of Morocco|
Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic
|Controlled by||Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic|
|Elevation||378 m (1,240 ft)|
Meharrize (also transliterated Mheiriz, Mehaires; Arabic: محيرس) is an oasis located in Western Sahara. It is situated between Tifariti and Amgala, 93 km from Smara, to the east of the Moroccan Wall, and in the Polisario Front-held part of Western Sahara close to the Mauritanian border. It has a dispensary, a school, and a mosque. Also, it is the head of the 4th military region of the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic.
During late June 2012, the Sahrawi minister of Construction and Urbanization of the Liberated Territories visited the town to supervise the family farms project and the construction of a school, opened in 2013.
In August 2008, Mheiriz hosted the III edition of the Summer University, for the Sahrawi students abroad. The students visited the historical archaeological sites in the region and profited from many conferences and lectures on different themes, such as religion, culture and security, in addition to other activities such as film projections and expositions.
Twin towns - Sister cities
- "Allocating seats for the liberated territories in Parliament will be considered in the next election (Official)". Sahara Press Service. 2012-02-20. Archived from the original on 2014-09-12. Retrieved 02-07-2012. Check date values in:
- "Establishment of new municipalities in Saharawi liberated territories". SPS. 01-07-2012. Archived from the original on 2013-02-18. Retrieved 02-07-2012. Check date values in:
- "Academic year 2012-2013 officially kicks off". SPS. 2012-09-16. Archived from the original on 2015-01-19. Retrieved 10-03-2013. Check date values in:
- "POLISARIO Front will participate "with good faith" to the negotiations of Manhasset, the Saharawi President affirms". SPS. 2007-06-17. Retrieved 2010-09-14.[permanent dead link]
- "Opening of the Summer University in the liberated territory of Mheiriz". SPS. 2008-08-15. Archived from the original on 2008-10-25. Retrieved 2010-09-14.
- "Aytº de Berantevilla (Álava)" (in Spanish). Euskal Fondoa. Retrieved 2013-02-14.[permanent dead link]
- "Aytº de Carranza (Bizkaia)" (in Spanish). Euskal Fondoa. Retrieved 2013-02-14.[permanent dead link]
- Gemellaggi e Patti di Amicizia[permanent dead link] Regione Toscana - Consiglio Regionale, 27 March 2010 (in Italian)
- "Aytº de Lezama (Bizkaia)" (in Spanish). Euskal Fondoa. Retrieved 2013-02-14.[permanent dead link]
- "Aytº de Markina (Bizkaia)" (in Spanish). Euskal Fondoa. Retrieved 2013-02-14.[permanent dead link]
- Convenio de Hermanamiento entre el Ayuntamiento de Soria y la daira de Mheiriz. Soria. 2008. Archived 2016-03-07 at the Wayback Machine Lefrig.org, 13 May 2008 (in Italian)