Miami New Times
|Owner(s)||Voice Media Group|
|Founded||1987 (as New Times Media)|
|Headquarters||2750 NW 3rd Ave.|
Miami, Florida, 33127
|Circulation||31,250 (December 2018[update])|
It was acquired by Village Voice Media, then known as New Times Media, in 1987, when it was a fortnightly newspaper called the Wave. As of 2018, it is edited by Chuck Strouse, a former Miami Herald reporter, who also oversees New Times Broward Palm Beach. The paper has won numerous awards, including a George Polk Award for coverage of the Major League steroid scandal in 2014 and first place in 2008 among weekly papers from the Investigative Reporters and Editors for stories about the Julia Tuttle Causeway sex offender colony. In 2010, the paper garnered international attention when it published a story by Brandon K. Thorp and Penn Bullock which revealed that anti-gay activist George Alan Rekers had hired a male prostitute to accompany him on a trip to Europe.
In September 2012, Village Voice Media executives Scott Tobias, Christine Brennan, and Jeff Mars bought Village Voice Media's papers and associated web properties from its founders and formed Voice Media Group.
Former writers for the Miami New Times include authors Tim Elfrink, Gus Garcia-Roberts, Jacob Bernstein, Steve Almond, Pete Collins, Jim DeFede, Ben Greenman, Robert Andrew Powell, Sean Rowe, and Kirk Semple. Its columnist is former Two Live Crew rapper Luther Campbell. Several former writers and editors of Miami New Times and New Times Broward Palm Beach departed for the Washington Post between 2014 and 2018. They include Elfrink, Terrence McCoy, Michael E. Miller, Kyle Swenson, Antonia Farzan and Emily Codik.
- "About New Times". Denver, Colorado: New Times Inc. Archived from the original on October 12, 1999. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "eCirc for Consumer Magazines". Alliance for Audited Media. December 31, 2018. Retrieved February 27, 2019.
- "About Us." Miami New Times. Retrieved on October 3, 2009.
- "New Times, Inc. – Company History". FundingUniverse. Retrieved 2010-11-15.
- "Journalism Awards Archived 2010-12-24 at the Wayback Machine." Village Voice Media. Retrieved on December 31, 2010.
- Strouse, Chuck (February 17, 2014). "New Times Tim Elfrink Wins George Polk Award". Miami New Times. Retrieved October 9, 2018.
- 2007 IRE Award winners Archived 2009-10-12 at the Wayback Machine." IRE. Retrieved on December 31, 2010.
- How Did the Miami New Times Catch George Rekers with a Rentboy? Archived 2010-07-18 at the Wayback Machine. Gawker. Retrieved on December 31, 2010.
- Thorp, Brandon K.; Bullock, Penn (2010-05-13). "How George Alan Rekers and his Rent-boy got Busted by New Times". Miami New Times.
- "Village Voice Media Execs Acquire The Company's Famed Alt Weeklies, Form New Holding Company". Tech Crunch. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- "Miami New Times site search, 'Subject: Robert Andrew Powell'". Miami New Times.
- "Miami New Times site search, 'Subject: Kirk Semple". Miami New Times.
|This article about a Florida newspaper is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|