Location of Nivala in Finland
|• Town manager||Kari Valtanen|
|• Total||536.88 km2 (207.29 sq mi)|
|• Land||527.95 km2 (203.84 sq mi)|
|• Water||8.92 km2 (3.44 sq mi)|
|Area rank||165th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||92nd largest in Finland|
|• Density||19.84/km2 (51.4/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.2% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||22.5%|
|• 15 to 64||54.2%|
|• 65 or older||23.3%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||22%|
Nivala is a town and municipality of Finland. It is located in the Northern Ostrobothnia region. The town has a population of 10,472 (31 March 2021) and covers an area of 536.88 square kilometres (207.29 sq mi) of which 8.92 km2 (3.44 sq mi) is water. The population density is 19.84 inhabitants per square kilometre (51.4/sq mi). Neighbouring municipalities are Haapajärvi, Haapavesi, Sievi, and Ylivieska. The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
The Kalajoki river flows through the municipality. The biggest lake in the region is Pidisjärvi and the two other lakes are Suojärvi and Erkkisjärvi.
- Kyösti Kallio, the fourth President of Finland (1937–1940), was a resident of Nivala.
- Rakel Liehu, writer
- Maria Lohela, former Speaker of the Parliament of Finland (2015–2018)
- Atte Ohtamaa, hockey player
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Preliminary population structure by area, 2021M01*-2021M03*". StatFin (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age (1-year) and sex by area and the regional division of each statistical reference year, 2003-2020". StatFin. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2021" (PDF). Tax Administration of Finland. 1 December 2020. Retrieved 10 April 2021.
- Media related to Nivala at Wikimedia Commons
- Nivala travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Municipality of Nivala – Official website