Out of the Black (song)
|"Out of the Black"|
|Single by Royal Blood|
|from the album Out of the Black and Royal Blood|
|Released||22 November 2013|
|Royal Blood singles chronology|
"Out of the Black" is a song written by Mike Kerr and Ben Thatcher of British rock duo Royal Blood. The song was originally recorded by the duo for release as a single, appearing on the band's debut single of the same name, released by Black Mammoth Records on 11 November 2013. The track later appeared as the opening track on the band's debut extended play Out of the Black, and as the opening track on the band's eponymous debut studio album, Royal Blood. The track was also part of the soundtrack to the film Who Am I – No System Is Safe, as well as the video games Forza Horizon 2 and EA Sports UFC. It was also used in a featurette for the Netflix series Daredevil at the 2015 New York Comic Con. The song was also the official theme song for the 2016 professional wrestling event WWE Roadblock. This song has also been covered by Billie Marten.
In the video, a robber wearing a bunny costume steals various confectionaries from a gas station, including a candy bar directly from the gas station's attendant. When the police respond, the robber is revealed to be an alien and, along with other aliens in costumes, massacres a Men in Black team who arrive on the scene. The aliens, however, are subsequently slaughtered in a fight with the attendant, who kills the alien in the bunny costume last and takes back his candy bar.
Scott Kerr of AllMusic called the opener "a riff-fueled onslaught that belies their two-piece status; with just a heavily processed bass guitar and a drum set between them, they make some four-piece rock bands look inconsequential." DIY editor Stephen Ackroyd repeated what Kerr said about "Out of the Black", saying that it "remains an incendiary calling card - a roaring, snarling Godzilla levelling sky scrapers at will."
All tracks are written by Mike Kerr and Ben Thatcher. All tracks produced by Tom Dalgety with Kerr and Thatcher.
|1.||"Out of the Black"||4:00|
|2.||"Come On Over"||2:51|
Partly adapted from Out of the Black liner notes.
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||200,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|United Kingdom||11 November 2013||7" vinyl||Black Mammoth||BMR001|
|United States||18 March 2014||Modern rock radio||Warner Bros.||none|
- Kerr, Scott. "Royal Blood – Royal Blood". AllMusic. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- Ackroyd, Stephen (22 August 2014). "Album Review: Royal Blood – Royal Blood". DIY. Retrieved 18 May 2017.
- Out of the Black (liner notes). Royal Blood. Warner Bros. Records. 2014. 542162-1.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Royal Blood Chart History (Canada Rock)". Billboard. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- "Royal Blood Album & Song Chart History — Mexico Ingles Airplay for Royal Blood". Billboard. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved August 19, 2020.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved August 19, 2020.
- "Official Rock & Metal Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- "Royal Blood Chart History (Hot Rock & Alternative Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- "Royal Blood Chart History (Rock Airplay)". Billboard. Retrieved 9 August 2014.
- "Rock Airplay Songs: Year End 2014". Billboard. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "Mainstream Rock Songs: Year End 2014". Billboard. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "British single certifications – Royal Blood – Out of the Black". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 20 October 2017. Select singles in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type Out of the Black in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "Out of the Black EP – Royal Blood (7 inch Vinyl Disc – Black Mammoth #BMR 001)". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Alternative > Future Releases". All Access Music Group. Archived from the original on 10 March 2014. Retrieved 24 August 2014.