|Sub-region||Eastern Lapland sub-region|
|• Municipal manager||Pertti Severinkangas|
|• Total||1,881.58 km2 (726.48 sq mi)|
|• Land||1,836.33 km2 (709.01 sq mi)|
|• Water||45.4 km2 (17.5 sq mi)|
|Area rank||32nd largest in Finland|
|• Rank||299th largest in Finland|
|• Density||0.51/km2 (1.3/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.8% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||9.5%|
|• 15 to 64||53.5%|
|• 65 or older||37.1%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||22.25%|
Pelkosenniemi is located in the province of Lapland. The municipality has a population of 931 (31 March 2021), which make it the smallest municipality in Lapland in terms of population. It covers an area of 1,881.58 square kilometres (726.48 sq mi) of which 45.4 km2 (17.5 sq mi) is water. The population density is 0.51 inhabitants per square kilometre (1.3/sq mi). Neighbour municipalities are Kemijärvi, Rovaniemi, Salla, Savukoski and Sodankylä.
The municipality is unilingually Finnish and in 2000 was the last remaining municipality in Finland to have its entire population consist of native speakers of Finnish. As of 2010 there were two native speakers of other languages in Pelkosenniemi.
Pelkosenniemi hosts a popular mosquito swatting competition.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Preliminary population structure by area, 2021M01*-2021M03*". StatFin (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age (1-year) and sex by area and the regional division of each statistical reference year, 2003-2020". StatFin. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2021" (PDF). Tax Administration of Finland. 1 December 2020. Retrieved 10 April 2021.
- C.G. (11 October 2017). "Explaining the Finnish love of tango". The Economist.
Media related to Pelkosenniemi at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Pelkosenniemi – Official website