|Sub-region||Eastern Lapland sub-region|
|• Municipal manager||Heli Knutars|
|• Total||3,544.90 km2 (1,368.69 sq mi)|
|• Land||3,038.81 km2 (1,173.29 sq mi)|
|• Water||506.14 km2 (195.42 sq mi)|
|Area rank||16th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||214th largest in Finland|
|• Density||1.02/km2 (2.6/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.5% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||8.3%|
|• 15 to 64||50.5%|
|• 65 or older||41.2%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||21.75%|
Posio is a municipality of Finland. It is located in the province of Lapland. The municipality has a population of 3,107 (31 March 2021) and covers an area of 3,544.90 square kilometres (1,368.69 sq mi) of which 506.14 km2 (195.42 sq mi) is water. The population density is 1.02 inhabitants per square kilometre (2.6/sq mi). Neighbour municipalities are Rovaniemi, Kemijärvi, Ranua, Salla, Kuusamo, Taivalkoski and Pudasjärvi.
The municipality has a single language, Finnish.
Major employers in Posio are the municipality itself, a major pottery manufacturer Pentik and agriculture (especially dairy farming).
The European route E63 runs through the northern-eastern parts of the municipality.
Korouoma canyon and natural reserve is located in Posio.
Sights and events
Posio's most renowned attractions are the Pentik-mäki Culture Centre, Riisitunturi National Park, Korouoma Nature Reserve, and the clear waters of lakes Kitkajärvi and Livojärvi. There are also many outdoor recreational things to do in Posio.
The world's northernmost ceramics factory is located in Posio. Pentik Oy interior design company was established in 1971 by Anu and Topi Pentikäinen.
Regular events in Posio are the Posio Fair, the amateur theatre event Teatterihelinät, and the Traditional Fish Fair Market (Muikkumarkkinat) in July.
- Kaarlo Maaninka (born 1953), Finnish long distance runner
- Soile Isokoski (born 1957), Finnish lyric soprano
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Preliminary population structure by area, 2021M01*-2021M03*". StatFin (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age (1-year) and sex by area and the regional division of each statistical reference year, 2003-2020". StatFin. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2021" (PDF). Tax Administration of Finland. 1 December 2020. Retrieved 10 April 2021.
- Media related to Posio at Wikimedia Commons
- Posio travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Municipality of Posio – Official website (in Finnish and English)
- Posio Tourism – Official Website