|Sub-region||Eastern Lapland sub-region|
|• Municipal manager||Mauri Aarrevaara|
|• Total||6,495.95 km2 (2,508.10 sq mi)|
|• Land||6,438.11 km2 (2,485.77 sq mi)|
|• Water||57.93 km2 (22.37 sq mi)|
|Area rank||6th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||294th largest in Finland|
|• Density||0.16/km2 (0.4/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.5% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||10%|
|• 15 to 64||56.9%|
|• 65 or older||33.1%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||21.75%|
It is located in the province of Lapland, Finland. The municipality has a population of 1,014 (31 March 2021) and covers an area of 6,495.95 square kilometres (2,508.10 sq mi) of which 57.93 km2 (22.37 sq mi) is water. The population density is 0.16 inhabitants per square kilometre (0.41/sq mi), which is the lowest in relation to other Finnish municipalities. Neighbour municipalities are Pelkosenniemi, Salla and Sodankylä.
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
According to Finnish Folklore, the Korvatunturi Fell in Savukoski municipality is the location of Father Christmas's (Joulupukki) secret workshop, where toys, trinkets and gifts are made and eventually wrapped by gnomes. The name Korvatunturi translates into English as "Ear Fell". Finnish children are told that from "Ear Fell" Father Christmas can hear what all the children are saying so he can find out if the children behave and obey their parents (and therefore may receive gifts next Christmas).
Savukoski is one of the largest municipalities in Finland, areawise, and the most sparsely settled. The river Kemijoki runs through it. Forestry and reindeer husbandry have traditionally been the main livelihood of the local population. There are ten times more reindeer than people in Savukoski. Nowadays tourism is also getting more important.
The Urho Kekkonen National Park is also located partly in Savukoski.
A bog region called Äteritsiputeritsipuolilautatsijänkä is in Savukoski. It has the longest place name in Finland.
- Markus Mustajärvi (born 1963), Finnish politician
- Seitajärvi, a former community in Savukoski
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Preliminary population structure by area, 2021M01*-2021M03*". StatFin (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age (1-year) and sex by area and the regional division of each statistical reference year, 2003-2020". StatFin. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 2 May 2021.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2021" (PDF). Tax Administration of Finland. 1 December 2020. Retrieved 10 April 2021.
- Robbins, Danny. "Meeting Father Christmas". Danny Robbins' Indie Travel Guide. BBC. Retrieved 23 June 2013.
Media related to Savukoski at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Savukoski – Official website
- Korvatunturi – Ear Mountain
- Savukoski – The Home of Father Christmas