The stem christie or "wedge christie" is a technique used in skiing for turning. The turn comprises three steps: 1. Forming a wedge by rotating the tail of one ski outwards at an angle to the direction of movement, which initiates a change in direction opposite to the stemmed ski. 2. Bringing the other ski parallel to the wedged ski. 3. Completing the turn with both skis parallel as they carve an arcing turn sliding sideways together.
Austrian ski guide Hannes Schneider developed the stem christie. Having perfected it by 1910 he promoted it as the mainstay of the Arlberg technique, which he called the "Alpine System". It replaced the Telemark turn as the standard for descending on skis. The technique was widely used up until the late 1960s, when its use diminished in favor of the parallel turn. Skis with increasingly "parabolic sidecut" accelerated the obsolescence of the stem Christie, starting in the late 1990s, because of their improved turning characteristics over skis with minimal sidecut.
Sondre Norheim impressed spectators when he used the stem christie in Christiania (Oslo) in 1868, the technique was originally called christiania turn (norwegian: christianiasving or kristianiasving) after the city (the term first appeared in print in 1901 in guidelines for ski jumping). The telemark turn was the alternative technique. The christiania turn later developed into parallel turn as the standard technique in alpine skiing.
- The English name for Kristianiasving, an earlier name for Oslo.
- Pfeiffer, Doug (January 1969). "Instruction Corner—Back to Basics: Edge Control". Skiing. Chicago: Ziff-Davis. 20 (4): 94. ISSN 0037-6264. Retrieved 2016-11-06.
- Johanna Hall (Winter 1997). "All Mixed Up? - How To Make Sense Of The Multi-Shaped Lesson". Archived from the original on April 11, 2003. Retrieved 2013-12-14.CS1 maint: unfit URL (link)
- Bjaaland, Olav S. (1966). Den moderne skiidrott hundre år: 1866-1966. Oslo.
- Vaage, Jakob (1979). Skienes verden. Oslo: Hjemmenes forlag i samarbeid med Foreningen til ski-idrettens fremme. ISBN 8270061689.
- Alpin skisport: utfor, slalåm, storslalåm. Oslo: Teknologisk forlag 1980. ISBN 8251201942.
- Hem, Olav (1996). Idrettsordboka: norsk-engelsk/engelsk-norsk ordbok for vinteridretter. Oslo: Universitetsforlaget. ISBN 8200227758.