Talk:Door furniture

Jump to navigation Jump to search
WikiProject Home Living  
WikiProject iconThis article is within the scope of WikiProject Home Living, a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of home related articles on Wikipedia. If you would like to participate, please visit the project page, where you can join the discussion and see a list of open tasks.
 ???  This article has not yet received a rating on the quality scale.
 ???  This article has not yet received a rating on the importance scale.

Requested move[edit]

The following discussion is an archived discussion of the proposal. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on the talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.

The result of the proposal was No move. With no opportunity for commonality forthcoming, we default to the earliest used English variant. Cúchullain t/c 19:48, 9 August 2012 (UTC)

Door furnitureDoor hardware – As an American, I am uncomfortable with the term door furniture. One attaches household hardware to a door, not furniture. Door furniture isn't in Category:Furniture! I just added it to Category:Hardware (mechanical). I'm hoping that British and Australian editors are more comfortable with door hardware, even if it isn't their primary usage. Wbm1058 (talk) 11:02, 18 July 2012 (UTC)

Response. Fair enough, you make good points. Can you help with determining if there is any commonality, as I suspect you may be more familiar with my English variety than I am with yours, in this example. Wiktionary does not seem to mention your use of the word in this context. It should probably be added as a fourth definition, something like "trappings etc. of a door", from my understanding. Also, List of words having different meanings in British and American English: A–L should be updated with this (I assume) secondary British usage of furniture. I assume we share primary meanings of the word. Thanks—Wbm1058 (talk) 13:27, 19 July 2012 (UTC) I am comfortable with Multi-storey car park as this usage is better known to Americans, and the differences are explained in List of words having different meanings in British and American English: A–L#G and List of words having different meanings in British and American English: M–Z#P. But now, I'm curious: are there other things that the British "trap with furniture", besides doors? Wbm1058 (talk) 14:03, 19 July 2012 (UTC)
  • Comment I am North American, so I find that "door furniture" is kitsch furniture made out of old doors... (atleast some artsy-types seem to do this in my region) -- (talk) 05:35, 19 July 2012 (UTC)
    • And you only have to read the first sentence of the article to learn that this is about something else. Interplanet Janet, Esquire IANAL 08:14, 19 July 2012 (UTC)
  • Comment. Webster's does a better job of defining this use of furniture: "3. The necessary appendages to anything, as to a machine, a carriage, a ship, etc. (a) (Naut.) The masts and rigging of a ship. (b) (Mil.) The mountings of a gun. (c) Builders' hardware such as locks, door and window trimmings. (d) (Print) Pieces of wood or metal of a lesser height than the type, placed around the pages or other matter in a form, and, with the quoins, serving to secure the form in its place in the chase." machine furniture, carriage furniture, ship furniture, gun furniture, window furniture—why are these all red links? Wbm1058 (talk) 18:59, 19 July 2012 (UTC) OK, there aren't hardware articles for any of those either, but furniture (disambiguation) doesn't even require disambiguation. Wbm1058 (talk) 19:11, 19 July 2012 (UTC)
Aha! using the intitle: parameter, query results can be narrowed by title. The search word(s) given to intitle: can be anywhere in the title.[1]
Street furniture, Category:Street furniture, Park furniture, Human furniture. These can get lost in the sea of more conventional "furniture" articles. But indeed, street furniture is a term actually used in the US[2][3], though I suspect most Americans would think you were odd if you told them a public toilet was "street furniture" Wbm1058 (talk) 21:16, 19 July 2012 (UTC)
  • Support; "door hardware" is, I would hope, more common to all varieties of English. Powers T 00:22, 21 July 2012 (UTC)
I hoped that, too, as I too prefer "door hardware". Unfortunately, though, the data don't support it. Dicklyon (talk) 05:49, 21 July 2012 (UTC)
Interesting, as is the American English chart. But B&Q's site does a reasonable job looking up door hardware. 8 pages of results, and what one might expect, though door furniture finds 166 pages. While a Home Depot search for door furniture, finding 437 products, is FUBAR—they think you want a "door chest"chest (furniture) with doors or chest of drawers, or chifforobe, or chiffonier. Searching Home Depot for door hardware finds 5413 products (led by door frame and sliding door track hardware), though their Door Hardware category has odd contents. Does WP:RETAIN trump all other considerations? –Wbm1058 (talk) 14:09, 21 July 2012 (UTC)
Google Ngrams' country-specific categorization is notoriously unreliable; I don't think it's a good idea to take that data at face value. Regardless, it was not meant to be my point that "door hardware" is actually more common in Britain than "door furniture", only that the term ought to be perfectly clear to Britons and thus should be used per MOS:COMMONALITY. Powers T 23:36, 21 July 2012 (UTC)
  • Support per MOS:COMMONALITY. A term generally recognizable in the UK and US should be preferred to a term generally recognizable in only one or the other. --Born2cycle (talk) 20:05, 1 August 2012 (UTC)
The n-gram data and the B&Q searches linked above suggest that there is very little commonality, and that to them Brits "door hardware" does not include most of what they refer to as "door furniture". Maybe "Fixed-wing doorcraft" or something... Dicklyon (talk) 04:02, 2 August 2012 (UTC)
  • Comment: I believe the results shown by Wbm1058 indicate that the current title is likely to be confusing to U.S. readers. Given that the proposed title ("door hardware") is in use, if limited, in the UK, I think it's reasonable to conclude that it's likely to be less confusing to the greater number of readers. Powers T 19:14, 6 August 2012 (UTC)
  • Oppose. This appears to be a difference of WP:ENGVAR so WP:RETAIN the existing version. Zarcadia (talk) 08:31, 8 August 2012 (UTC)
But Dicklyon suggests 'door furniture hardware' is not common in the UK. Zarcadia (talk) 16:53, 8 August 2012 (UTC)
Not that I know anything about the UK, and I don't mind if we move it to Door hardware, but that's what the evidence looks like to me. Dicklyon (talk) 17:08, 8 August 2012 (UTC)
Well I'm not sure what evidence you're talking about, but if door furniture (the current title) is indeed less common in the UK, then there should be no objection to moving the article. Powers T 17:47, 9 August 2012 (UTC)
Both the B&Q's online catalog and the books n-grams result suggest that "door furniture" is by far the predominant term in British English. Sorry, I mis-read the mis-statement above that "Dicklyon suggests 'door furniture' is not common in the UK" -- quite the opposite. Dicklyon (talk) 18:04, 9 August 2012 (UTC)
Apologies for the confusion, I meant to say 'door hardware' is apparently less known in the UK. Personally I am not that familiar with either expression and don't prefer one over the other. Zarcadia (talk) 18:30, 9 August 2012 (UTC)
The above discussion is preserved as an archive of the proposal. Please do not modify it. Subsequent comments should be made in a new section on this talk page. No further edits should be made to this section.

Double doors mechanisms[edit]

There's nothing I can find on Wikipedia about mechanisms for coordinating and/or latching of each leaf or wing of a pair of doors (double wing doors).

Closing order 'sequence selector' or 'coordinator' are terms I've seen for sequencing mechanisms.

I've been unable to find clear terminology for mechanisms designed to keep the secondary leaf free to move while the primary is open, but to latch it closed when the primary is closed.

Is there anyone knowledgeable on these two device types able to offer links here in Talk as a start?

HuwG (talk) 01:24, 19 September 2019 (UTC)