|Campus||333 ha (820 acres)|
Yanshan University (simplified Chinese: 燕山大学; traditional Chinese: 燕山大學; pinyin: Yānshān Dàxué) is a university in Qinhuangdao, Hebei, China under the provincial government. It has a student population of 39,000 and a staff population of 3,200 (2,058 are teachers, including 413 full professors and 630 associate professors). It is a national key school and runs state key labs on its campus.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Academics
- 4 Main schools
- 5 International relations
- 6 Notable alumni
- 7 References
- 8 External links
The origin of Yanshan University can be traced back to the Harbin Institute of Technology, founded in 1920.
In 1958, the Department of Heavy Machinery of Harbin Institute of Technology and its related specialties moved to the strategic industrial town of Fulaerji, Qiqihar in northeast China's Heilongjiang Province and was renamed the School of Heavy Machinery of the Harbin Institute of Technology. In 1960, the school became independent as the Northeast Heavy Machinery Institute; in 1978, it was accredited as one of the 88 national key institutions of higher learning. Starting in 1985, it began to relocate southward to the historic seaside city of Qinhuangdao in Hebei Province and completed the migration in 1997 when it was accredited by the former State Education Commission to adopt the present name of Yanshan University.
The Yanshan University campus covers an area of 5,000 mu (or 330 hectares) with a total construction area of nearly one million square meters. At present,Template:When?date=May 2019 the university has a faculty and staff of 3000, including 2,000 teachers, of which 413 are professors (including 200 doctoral advisors) and 630 are associate professors. The university has a student population of 39,000.
Qinhuangdao City, site of Yanshan University's campus, is a coastal resort city 260 km northeast of Beijing. As one of the Class A tourist destinations in China, Qinhuangdao attracts visitors from China and abroad with the beginning of the Great Wall (or Lao Longtou), the First Pass Under Heaven (the Shanhai Guan) on the Great Wall, the summer resort Beidaihe Beach, the sandy Golden Beach at the Nandaihe area, the safari zoo, and other scenic spots which are in easy access.
Yanshan University has five postdoctoral research stations, six disciplines of 35 subdisciplines conferring doctoral degrees, 13 disciplines of 80 subdisciplines conferring master's degrees, 16 masters of engineering programs, one Master of Public Administration (MPA) program, one Master of Business Administration (MBA) program, as well as 60 undergraduate programs. With such a wide range of programs, Yanshan University has become a multiversity with emphasis laid on engineering studies and importance attached to liberal arts, sciences, economics, management, law and education.
Yanshan University consists of 21 colleges and schools. It runs five national key disciplines, four key disciplines of national defence, 13 key provincial disciplines, one key national laboratory, 13 key provincial laboratories and engineering centres.
Yanshan University is known for its world-renowned achievements in the development of whole-set heavy machinery and equipment, the theory and technology of parallel robots, the technology of fluid transmission and electro-hydraulic servo-systems, the technology and equipment of precision plasticity figuration, technology of thermal treatment of big forging, the technology of mega amorphous bodies, metastable materials and technology, the theory and technology of industrial automation, etc.
Yanshan University has won seventeen national scientific and technological awards in a row since 1996, including three first-class China State Science and Technology Progress Awards, ten second-class Awards, two third-class Awards, one State Technology Invention Award, and one second-class National Natural Sciences Award. The university has undertaken more than 300 national research projects, including those funded by the 973 Programs, the 863 Programs, as well as the National Natural Sciences Foundation and the National Social Sciences Foundation. In 1999, Yanshan University established its high-tech park in the Qinhuangdao Economic and Technological Development Zone. The park was officially established by the Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology and Ministry of Education as a national university science park in September 2003, thus becoming one of the 34 national university science parks of its kind.
School of Electrical Engineering
At present,[when?] the School of Electrical Engineering has 233 staff and faculty members, of which 61 are professors (including 36 doctoral advisors, 1 Yangtze River Scholar, 2 China National Funds for Distinguished Young Scholars, 1 National Science Fund for Excellent Young Scholars and 3 Humboldt scholars), and 58 are associate professors. The school has 3859 students (including 85 Ph.D students, 964 postgraduates and 2810 undergraduates).
The school consists of 3 postdoctoral research stations (Control Science and Engineering, Instrument Science and technology and Electrical engineering), 3 first-level disciplines conferring doctoral degrees (16 second-level disciplines conferring doctoral degrees), 4 first-level disciplines conferring master's degrees, 4 masters of engineering programs, 1 strong discipline group of Hebei Province, 3 key disciplines of Hebei Province, 3 Key Laboratories of Hebei Province, 1 National Experimental Teaching Demonstration Center, 1 national characteristic specialty, 1 undergraduate education innovation highlands of Hebei Province, and 1 teaching team of Hebei Province.
School of Information Science and Engineering (School of Software Engineering)
After nearly half a century of construction, ghis school forms the practical, ambitious, rigorous and realistic academic spirit and makes great achievements in teaching, research and other aspects. There are 185 staff and faculty in the school, of which 130 are teachers, including 40 professors (23 doctoral supervisors), 58 associate professors, 98 teachers with doctorates. There are a considerable number of teachers with experience of studying abroad. The school has 87 doctoral degree candidates, 736 master's degree candidates, and 2580 undergraduates.
There are two post-doctoral research station in the school, the station of Electronic Science and Technology and the station of Computer Science and Technology, with 4 first level disciplines of doctoral degree awarding entitlement in Electronic Science and Technology, Computer Science and Technology, Optical Engineering and Software Engineering 8 second level disciplines of doctoral degree programs. The school also has 5 first level disciplines of master's degree awarding entitlement in Optical Engineering, Electronic Science and Technology, Information and Communication Engineering, Computer Science and Technology and Software Engineering, of which are 11 second level disciplines of master's degree awarding entitlement in Optical Engineering, Physical Electronics, Circuits and Systems, Micro-electronics and Solid State Electronics, Electromagnetic Field and Microwave Technology, Communications and Information Systems, Signal and Information Processing, Computer Architecture, Computer Software and Theory, Computer Application Technology and Software Engineering. Information Science and Technology are strong discipline group of Hebei Province, and Optical Engineering, Circuits and Systems, Computer Application Technology are key disciplines of Hebei Province. The school has 2 Key Provincial Laboratories, "the special optical fibre and fibre optic sensing laboratory" and "the Computer virtualisation technology and system integration laboratory". Furthermore, there are four master programs awarding entitlement in Computer Technology, Software Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Optical Engineering.
During the past 5 years,[when?] there are 130 projects including National "973" project, "863" project, the key program and general program of National Natural Science Foundation of China, provincial fund projects and the other related industries’ researching and developing projects. The school receives research funding of more than 37 million RMB, has more than 10 patents, 16 teaching and research awards of provincial and ministerial level. More than 500 papers published in high-level international journals and more than 20 monographs and textbooks.
School of Information Science and Engineering (School of Software Engineering)
This school is getting more attention with the scientific and technological innovation activities of students and a series of incentive prizes. In recent years, 59 innovative experimental projects are undertaken by the students, including 17 national and provincial level, 42 scholastic level.
Students have won awards at national, provincial student technology competitions of all levels. They won the Thirteenth "Challenge Cup" national special award in 2013’s National College Extracurricular Scientific Works Competition; and 4accessits in 2011’s and 2013’s National Electronic Design Contest; in addition, awards were won in Chinese University Biological networking innovation and entrepreneurship contest, the National robotics Championship, Google Students' Software Invention Contest, and the Computer Application Contest of five provinces of North China .
School of Mechanical Engineering
At present,[when?] there are a total of 3918 students in the School of Mechanical Engineering, including 2394 undergraduate students, 1339 master students and 185 PhD students.
There are more than 300 teachers in the SME, among whom 82 are professors (including 47 PhD supervisors) and 77 are associate professors. The outstanding honours awarded to our staff include 1 Yanzhao Scholar of Hebei Province, 1 National Outstanding Teacher, 1 National Model Teacher, 1 winner of National Youth Thousand Talent Plan, 1 National Young and Middle-Aged Expert with Remarkable Contributions, 3 state level persons of the New Century National Hundred, Thousand and Ten Thousand Talent Project, 1 New Century Excellent Talent in University under Ministry of Education, 2 first level persons of New Century Three-Three-Three Talents Project of Hebei Province, 3 winners of Hundred Talent Program of Hebei Province, 3 Outstanding Experts Appointed by Hebei Province, 7 Provincial Young and Middle-Aged Experts with Remarkable Contributions, 2 Research Innovation Teams of Hebei Province, and 3 Outstanding Teachers of Hebei Province.
School of Materials Science and Engineering
The school has been highly recognised in the research communities of non-equilibrium phase transition, preparation of metastable materials, design, syntheses and physical properties of new metastable materials, bulk metastable glasses and nano-scaled magnetic materials, preparation methods of metallic materials containing metastable phases. In the last five years, more than 980 papers were published in highly recognised journals such as Nature, Phys. Rev. Lett., and J. Am. Chem. Soc., and 37 patents were issued.
The school currently enrols 1201 students including 753 undergraduates, 310 master students, and 138 PhD students. The programs aim at cultivating highly qualified students with virtues and personalities. Since 2007, over 50% undergraduates in the school were enrolled into graduate programs.
The school employs 103 faculty members and staff, including 50 professors (39 PhD supervisors), 13 associate professors, and 8 senior engineers. The school’s faculty include recipients of the Yangtze River Scholars Program (4), Thousand Talents Program (1), Yanzhao Scholar Project (1), NSF Distinguished Youth Foundation (5), Chief Scientist of “973 Project” (1), Millions Talents Project New Century (2), Program for New Century Excellent Talents in University (5)”, Henry Fok Youth Teacher Fund (3). 16 professors are recipients of Government Special Allowance, and one professor is entitled the National Modeling Teacher.
The university attaches great importance to international academic exchange and collaboration, and has conducted joint study and research programs with institutions from the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Norway, Germany, France, Italy, Ireland, Japan, Korea, etc.
- Ding, Xuexiang, Alternate Member, 18th CPC, Central Committee; Deputy Director of CPC Central Committee General Office, Director of State President Office
- Zhou, Tienong, Vice-chairman of the National People's Congress Standing Committee, chairman of Revolutionary Committee of the Chinese Kuomintang Central Committee.
- Zhang, Chunxian, Member, Political Bureau, CPC Central Committee，secretary of the CPC Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Regional Committee and the First Political Commissar of the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps
- Wang, Hongrui, President of Hebei University
- Li, Qiang, President of Hebei University of Science and Technology
- Chang, Jianghua, President of Qiqihar University
- Cheng, Zixue, Vice President of University of Aizu, Japan
- Liu, Cai, President of Academy of Sciences, Hebei province
- Li, Shufu, Chairman, Geely Group Co., Ltd
- Wu,Shengfu, China's First Heavy Machinery Group Co., LTD. General Manager
- Lu, Yacheng, President of Shanghai, Electric Heavy Industry Group
- Wang, Youshi, Deputy Head of Department of Commerce in Hebei Province
- Wang, Hongqiang, the General Manager, Luoyang Shaft Research Science and Technology Co., LTD.,
- Han, Decai, China's Environmental Management Cadre Institute Party Committee Secretary
- Ding,Guosheng, President of Hebei Foreign Language Professional College
- Gu,Fenglan, Chairman of the Board of Directors, Tianjin Heavy Science and Technology Engineering co., LTD.
- Du,Dingzhu, mathematician, Professor of Computer Science, University of Texas at Dallas (UTD)
- Liu, Yingxia, former Vice Chairman of the All-China Federation of Industry
- Shen, Tielong, Professor of Sophia University, Japan
- Xie, DongGang, Director of Xi'an Heavy Machinery Research Institute
- Zhai, Yawei, Deputy General Manager of Zhengzhou Nissan Motor Corporation
- Zhang, Pijie, General Manager of Faw Car Co., LTD.
- Huang, Rong, Vice Chairman of the All-China Federation of Industry, Vice President of Chinese Folk Chamber of Commerce
- Liu, Fei, Deputy General Manager of JiuGang (Group) Company
- Xu, Yanwu, President of Michael Herbert Okada Co., LTD (USA)
- Yang, Xinhua, Chairman and General Manager of North Iron and Steel (Group) Co., LTD.
- Zhang, Chengfu, Secretary of Labor Protection of the All-China Federation of Trade Unions
- Zhang, Bi, CPC Party Secretary of Gansu University of Technology
- Xue, Anke, President of Hanzhou Dianzi University
- Zhang,Yu, Vice Mayor of Cangzhou city
- Gao, Feng', former President of the Hebei University of Technology, Professor of Shanghai JiaoTong University
- Luo, Xiaoming, President of the Beijing Jili University
- Han, Yuqin, Chairman of the Federation of Trade Unions, Harbin City
- Li, Shiwei, Product Marketing Manager of CA Technologies
- Cui, Peiyuan, mayor of Ningan City
- Liu, Jianjun, Qinhuangdao Environmental Protection Bureau Chief
- Wang Guangru, Director of Dalian Institute of The First Heavy Machinery Co., LTD
- Feng,Jingchang, Northern Heavy Industries Group Deputy General Manager, Sinter Integrated Control Expert
- Liu, Sheng, Xuzhou Railway Bureau Chief
- Zhang, Yongcheng, writer
- Yanshan University official website